News & Events
Weekly Current Affairs – 22nd to 27th Jan
- January 30, 2018
- Posted by: Maya
- Category: Current Affairs Daily Current Affairs
Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 22 January to 27 January 2018.
1. India is expected to overtake which nation to become the world’s fastest growing large economy?
2. The World Economic Forum has ranked India at which position on the Inclusive Development Index 2018?
3. Researchers have discovered a new population of walking fish in which Australian state?
a) New South Wales
4. Which city hosted the International Dam Safety Conference?
5. The garbage festival called ‘Kachra Mahotsav’ was organised in which state?
a) Uttar Pradesh
6. Who was appointed as the new Chief Election Commissioner on January 21, 2018 by President Ram Nath Kovind?
a) Om Prakash Rawat
b) Achal Kumar Joti
c) Sunil Arora
d) Ashok Lavasa
7. Which country will host the ministerial meeting of International Energy Forum 2018?
d) Sri Lanka
8. According to IMF, what is the expected growth rate of India in 2018?
9. The Government of which nation has funded a satellite hunt to identify new mineral deposits?
b) North Korea
c) United States
10. Anandiben Patel has been appointed as the Governor of which state?
a) Uttar Pradesh
c) Madhya Pradesh
11. Which nation has announced the world’s first public register against money laundering?
12. Who launched the National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portal?
a) Narendra Modi
b) Rajnath Singh
c) Arun Jaitley
d) Venkaiah Naidu
13. The 48th World Economic Forum annual meeting has begun in which nation?
14. Who has taken charge as the new Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre?
a) Tapan Misra
b) S Somanath
c) Shailesh Nayak
d) Tessy Thomas
15. The National Girl Child Day is observed on which day?
a) January 24
b) January 22
c) February 2
d) January 25
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) China
According to Sanctum Wealth Management report, India will become the fastest growing economy in the world in 2018, surpassing even China and the country’s equity market will jump to become the fifth largest in the world.
2. (b) 62
India has been ranked at the 62nd place among emerging economies on an Inclusive Development Index, released by World Economic Forum (WEF). India’s position is much below its neighbours, China and Pakistan, which are ranked at 26th and 47th positions respectively.
3. (d) Tasmania
A group of scientists have found a small population of fish that “walk” along the seabed off Australia’s south coast in Tasmania. The Red Handfish (Thymichthys politus) is found only in southeastern Tasmania, an isolated island state.
4. (b) Thiruvananthapuram
The International Dam Safety Conference- 2018 began on January 23, 2018 at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. The conference is a part of DRIP project, which aims to achieve rehabilitation of old dams in the country that may be experiencing distress and are in need of attention for ensuring their structural safety and operational efficiency.
5. (d) Chhattisgarh
The garbage festival ’Kachra Mahotsav’ was organized in the Raipur, the capital city of Chhattisgarh. This unique fest was organised by the Raipur Municipal Corporation with the objective to increase awareness and guide people on waste management and to showcase multiple techniques for reusing things that are labelled as garbage.
6. (a) Om Prakash Rawat
Senior-most Election Commissioner, Om Prakash Rawat was appointed as the Chief Election Commissioner in the Election Commission on 21st January 2018. He would be succeeding outgoing CEC Achal Kumar Joti, who retires on 22nd January.
7. (a) India
India will host the Ministerial Meeting of International Energy Forum in New Delhi from April 10 to April 12, 2018. The International Energy Forum (IEF), with a membership of 71 countries (both producers and consumers), is the most representative international organization in the field of oil and gas.
8. (b) 7.4
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has stated that India is projected to grow at 7.4 per cent in 2018, surpassing China, which is expected to grow at 6.8 per cent. This would make India the fastest growing country among the emerging economies.
9. (a) Britain
The British government has handed out $1 million for research that uses satellites to identify deposits of minerals, including battery metal lithium, as part of efforts to bolster the economy after the exit from the European Union. The project is named Satellite Applications Catapult.
10. (c) Madhya Pradesh
The former Chief Minister of Gujarat, Anandiben Patel has been appointed by President Ram Nath Kovind as the new Governor of Madhya Pradesh. Patel would be replacing Om Prakash Kohli, who was holding the additional charge of the office of MP Governor along with the office of Gujarat Governor.
11. (d) Britain
Britain has announced the world’s first public register that requires overseas companies that own or buy property in the country to provide details of their ultimate owners. The government is set to publish relevant draft laws and the register will go live by early 2021.
12. (c) Arun Jaitley
The Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley has launched the National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portal to enable greater transparency in corporate governance and promote accountability to the public at large.
13. (a) Switzerland
The 48th annual meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) has begun in Davos, Switzerland with the theme ‘Creating a Shared Future in a Fractured World’. The summit would witness participation from over 3,000 world leaders, business patrons, academicians, philanthropists and politicians from across the world.
14. (b) S Somanath
Renowned scientist, S Somanath took charge as the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, succeeding K Sivan who was recently appointed as ISRO Chairman. The space centre is Indian Space Research organisation’s lead centre for launch vehicles.
15. (a) January 24
The National Girl Child Day was observed across India on January 24, 2018. The day is celebrated to increase the awareness among people about all the inequalities faced by the girl child in the society. It also aims to highlight the importance of education, nutrition, legal rights, medical care and safety of girl children.
🌅 Not promise but commitment to your success 🌅